The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 8May 6-10 is Teacher Appreciation Week!
  • May 8Be aware of schedule changes next Tuesday-Friday due to SOLS!
  • May 8Check out the AP Art Exhibition Friday, May 10, 7-9PM @ the War Memorial Cultural Arts and Community Center
  • May 7May 9th is Mental Health Awareness Day! Join the PHS Counseling Department in showing our support for mental health awareness by wearing green this Thursday.
  • May 7Field Hockey interest meeting in room 2062 on Friday, May 10th during Indian Time!

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
May 13, 2024
Photo Of The Day
Photo Of The Day
May 9, 2024
Met Gala
Met Gala
May 9, 2024

Virginia Tech Israel-Gaza Student Protests

The Washington Post

Sunday night and early Monday morning, April 28 & 29, an on-campus protest was held by attending students. Virginia Tech Police began removing protesters from off the campus around 10 pm.

The students were protesting the Israel-Gaza conflict. The protest seemed to be pro-Palestinian, calling for end to Israel’s war in Gaza.

Police arrived around 10:15, giving protesters 5 minutes to leave the premises or else they would be detained. When they remained, officers began cuffing with zip-ties, hauling them away.

The university urged the public to avoid the Graduate Life Center which is where the protest first took place. That night, the university released the following statement, according to WDBJ.

On Friday morning, protests began to occupy the lawn of the Graduate Life Center. Virginia Tech officials informed the protestors that the gathering was in violation of University Policy 5000 (University Facilities Usage and Events). Virginia Tech values free speech and the protestors’ right to be heard, but only if the rights of others and public safety can be assured.

— Virginia Tech

Many other protests have taken place similar to this one. Schools include University of Mary Washington and George Washington University. Forms of them include sit-ins, boycotts, or confrontations with police or couterprotestors.

For Jewish students though, these moments have been extremely gut wrenching. While some have joined or even led protest movements calling for a cease-fire in Gaza, others have reported feeling threatened or unsafe near pro-Palestinian protests.

Police have not released any further information regarding those who were detained.