The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 23PHS Graduation tonight at 7PM! We are so proud of you!
  • May 23Congrats to Girls Lax for going to States for the 3rd year in a row!!
  • May 23Congrats to the Class of '24 for over 5 Million Dollars in Grants and Scholarships!
  • May 23All students please return your PHS library books due to summer and to avoid fees

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
May 21, 2024

Read Across America Week

Annually, Read Across America Week starts on March 2nd through the 6th. This week celebrates Dr Seuss and encourages kids of all ages to read more books. Read Across America Week is a way to educate and motivate students while making an effort to get them more involved in reading.

Twinkl

Schools all over America have events set up for students, like Powhatan High School. The National English Honors Society, NEHS, joined in to celebrate “Read Across America Week” and put together a bulletin board to contribute.

NEHS bulletin board.

This year’s theme is “Create/celebrate a nation of diverse readers”. The theme teaches children the differentiates of others and to discover a new voice.

The entire month is dedicated to reading because March is National Reading Month. This month is a great opportunity to encourage everyone to read books and to adopt the magical feeling of reading everyday.

Reading is a very important skill to learn, due to all the benefits. Reading helps with communication skills, language, vocabulary, and social skills, making Read Across America Week and National Reading Month is so important.