The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 22, 2024
First practice of the season
Girls Lacrosse
April 18, 2024

How Taylor Swift is changing the “Reputation” of the NFL

On Sunday February 11, the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs faced off at the 58th annual Superbowl featuring Usher performing for the Apple Music halftime show. The Chiefs won in over time with a final score of 25-22. Taylor Swift was in attendance along with many other A-list celebrities.

But which of these factors contribute to the Superbowl 58 being the most watched event in TV history since the moon landing?

The Superbowl has always had a great halftime performer and celebrities in attendance. However, what the Superbowl has never had is Taylor Swift. Ever since Taylor Swift has started dating Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, more and more Taylor Swift fans have started watching football to try to catch a glimpse of their favorite singer.

Taylor Swift attended the Superbowl with some of her fellow celebrity friends such as Blake Lively, Ice Spice, and Lana Del Rey. They were with Travis’s mom, dad, and brother fellow NFL football player Jason Kelce in a private suite. This was very exciting for fans of Taylor and was the reason a lot of viewers tuned in to the Superbowl at all.

Taylor Swift has brought a whole generation of fans to football. And this happens with everything Taylor Swift does. People are calling this the ‘Taylor Effect’. Wherever she goes people follow and for fans, this is a great thing. With the NFL giving Taylor Swift so much attention, many young girls have even started watching football who had been previously uninterested.

This has led to many people turning to social media to show the impact Taylor Swift has had on their family. Lots of teenage girls are bonding with their fathers because they finally have an interest in common, football. The teens watching for Taylor and the dads watching for the game. These heartwarming bonding moments are going viral on social media and Cetaphil even made a commercial centering around a dad and daughter bonding over a football game.

However, some people are not happy about the attention Taylor Swift is getting. Many football fans have complained about the amount of attention being placed on Taylor during the games. Many fans boo’d her at games and were yelling because they didn’t want her there. Some even went as far as saying Taylor Swift ruined the Superbowl.

There are lots of mixed opinions surrounding this controversy and Taylor Swift herself spoke out about the hate she was receiving about her attending football games.

“I’m just here to support Travis. I have no awareness of if I’m being shown too much and pissing off a few dads, Brads, and Chads.”

— Taylor Swift

As the football season comes to an end, the Taylor Swift content is slowly declining. We will see the next football season if Taylor will still be attending football games to support Travis Kelce.