The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 8Auditions for the Show Choir 2024/2025 school year will take place after school in the choir room April 15th, 16th, and 17th
  • March 28A college campus safety professional will be holding an informational session in the auditorium on Friday 4/12. Junior and Senior girls are encouraged to attend. The link to sign up is on Schoology.
  • March 25Feeling Lucky with 26! The sophomore class has extended their raffle for a pot of gold containing various gift cards. Buy tickets at the Concession Stand in the mornings. 1 for $1, 5 for $3, or 10 for $5. Drawing will be held after Spring Break.
  • March 18April 19th is the 6th annual Mr. Powhatan competition! If you are a boy in any grade interested in competing, find the signups posted around the school, or on Instagram.
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting tomorrow, 3/18.
  • February 26The VSBA Personal Essay/Speaking Contest is open to all Public High School students. The top finalist will receive a $1,000 Scholarship! The deadline is April 17th.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 11, 2024
Photo of the day
Photo of the day
April 9, 2024

Celebrating Black Female Romance Writers

As we head into Black History Month, The Arrowhead will be highlighting Black Female authors in all different genres. The first authors being highlighted are Black Female Romance writers.

Romance is a genre that throughout history has featured books predominantly starring white characters, but in recent years that has started to change. Readers now get to read love stories of people from all walks of life. This includes romance novels with main characters of color, characters with disabilities, plus size characters, LGBTQ+ characters, and much more, and The Arrowhead is excited to be able to recognize the authors that have made this happen.

The first author being highlighted is from our own Powhatan High School community. Nashae Jones is an English teacher here at Powhatan High School and a middle grade author. Her new book, ‘Courtesy of Cupid’ was published in the beginning of January, and has already made some huge accomplishments.

The middle grade novel features Erin Johnson, who learns she is the daughter of Cupid, the God of Love. When she discovers this, she uses the powers she has inherited to beat her fiercest competition, Trevor, in the presidential election for the Multicultural Leadership Club.

‘Courtesy of Cupid’ was the number 1 new release in children’s Greek and Roman Mythology. It is also The New York Time’s Kid’s Book Club pick for February. This is a great middle grade Mythology Romance and PHS and The Arrowhead are so proud of all of her accomplishments.

The next author being featured is  Jasmine Guillory. She is the writer of the New York Times bestselling series “The Wedding Date” and the novel “By the Book”. All of her novels feature black, female main characters.

Her most popular and debut novel, ‘The Wedding Date’, features an interracial couple who agree to pretend to be each other’s wedding dates and eventually fall in love. The rest of her series follows other characters stories who are mentioned in previous books.

Jasmine Guillory has been nominated for and won many awards for her writing. She has been nominated for many Goodreads book awards and she has been a Celebrity Book Club pick, along with being featured in many magazines. Many of her books have also been on the New York Times best selling list.

She is a great romance writer and if you enjoy romance with fake dating you should check out her books.

The final author being recognized is Talia Hibbert. She is the author of ‘The Brown Sisters Series’, which features books centering around 3 sisters and tells each of their love stories. All of her novels have diverse main characters who are very easy to root for.

Talia Hibbert has accomplished a lot through her novels. Her book ‘Get a Life, Chloe Brown’ topped the best seller lists of USA Today and the Wall Street Journal. The novel also received the Ripped Bodice Award for Excellence in Romance Fiction and was also featured on the Today Show.

Her books are a great easy read if you’re looking for a fun light romance with diverse characters and enemies to lovers trope.

All of these authors are amazing authors with incredible novels. Next week the Arrowhead will be featuring excellent Black Authors of Memoirs.