The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • February 29STEM night is Tonight, 2/29, at PHS from 5-7!
  • February 29Congratulations to the the show choirs for another successful competition at Thomas Dale's Commonwealth Choir Invitational.
  • February 26The VSBA Personal Essay/Speaking Contest is open to all Public High School students. The top finalist will receive a $1,000 Scholarship! More details are on Schoology.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
March 4, 2024

Toby Keith passes at 62 due to stomach cancer

On February 5, 2024 Toby Keith, an American song writer, singer, and actor, passed away at the age of 62. In June of 2022 Keith announced that he was diagnosed with cancer.  During an interview with KWTV he said, “Cancer is a rollercoaster.” and “You sit here and wait on it to go away. It might never go away.” Although he sadly lost his battle, “He fought with grace and courage.”

Us Weekly

Toby Keith grew up in Moore Oklahoma and got his first guitar at the age of 8 years old. When he was young he would travel with his grandma to her supper club, Billie Garner’s Supper Club, to do strange jobs and sit with the house band. Keith became mesmerized with the band and later started to play with them.

After Toby Keith graduated from high school he worked with his dad in the oil fields. Later, he and his friends created a group called the Easy Money Band where they played locally. He had various other jobs to make money, which even included playing semi-pro football.

When Keith was in his 30s he started to give up on his long dream of having a big time music career. He tried hard to spread his music for all to hear, but no record labels were interested. Until a fan, a flight attendant, sent his music demo to Harold Shedd.

Harold Shedd went to see Keith live and was in fascination with what he was hearing; Shedd then put him on a contract with Mercury. He soon went up through the ranks and had a hit single called “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” in 1993. From then on he gained more popularity across the world, and won many awards for his music throughout his career.

Hollywood Life

At the end of Toby Keith’s career he had 32 number 1 hit singles, with some of the fan favorites being, “My List”, “Should’ve Been a Cowboy”, “As Good As I Once Was”, and “How Do You Like Me Now?!”

Toby Keith’s career has sadly come to an end but he won’t be forgotten. His music will still be listened to and loved by his people and fans. It’s heartbreaking he had to leave behind his amazing career, wife, three kids, siblings, mother, and millions of fans. He left this world a strong fighter and surrounded by his loved ones.