The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • February 29STEM night is Tonight, 2/29, at PHS from 5-7!
  • February 29Congratulations to the the show choirs for another successful competition at Thomas Dale's Commonwealth Choir Invitational.
  • February 26The VSBA Personal Essay/Speaking Contest is open to all Public High School students. The top finalist will receive a $1,000 Scholarship! More details are on Schoology.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
March 4, 2024

2 killed, 5 injured in the second school shooting of 2024

CNN

January 4th, 2024, Perry High School in Perry, Iowa was struck at 7:37 that morning by an armed 17 year old. The victims included a 6th grader, Ahmir Jolliff, and the principal, Mr. Dan Marburger, who was in critical condition upon police arrival. Marburger died in the hospital 10 days later on January 14 at 8am, despite a surgical procedure given in hopes to save him.

Ahmir was pronounced DUA by police. Authorities say that he was shot 3 times.

Suspect, Dylan Butler, 17, was dead upon police arrival by a self-inflicted gun wound. Butler was known to always be a little “odd” by close friends, but he was never suspected to inflict harm on anyone.

Marburger’s heroic actions shown in order to protect the kids, especially his daughter Claire, were recognized by his wife, family, and friends. Marburger was a well known figure, and outgoing human who had a passion for education. His daughter also knew him to be a “gentle giant.” He worked in the Perry County School District for 25 years.

According to CNN, who spoke with Marburger’s daughter, Claire, states that, “As I heard of a gunman, I instantly had a feeling my Dad would be a victim as he would put himself in harm’s way for the benefit of the kids and his staff. It is absolutely zero surprise to hear he tried to approach and talk Dylan down and distract him long enough for some students to get out of the cafeteria.”

According to the New York Times, this shooting “struck an unusually inmate, painfully chord” for Iowa residents. The whole town of Perry knew everyone involved in the shooting, considering it was a small town. Iowa governor Kim Reynolds ordered flags lowered to half-staff on Sunday.

View Comments (1)