The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo Of The Day
Photo Of The Day
April 29, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024

SGA supports local Christmas Mother

Powhatan High School’s SGA (Student Government Association)  is all about the school and local community. The group sets up homecoming, powderpuff, the community blood drive, and around the holidays the group shops for the Powhatan Christmas Mother.

The Christmas Mother is a local non-profit organization that raises money to donate christmas gifts to children and senior citizens in need. It started in 1967 and has been supporting the Powhatan community ever since. The Christmas Mother partners with local businesses such as the 1933 Public House and Three Crosses Distillery to bring in donations.

Every year SGA shops for people in our community who are in need around the holidays. Members of the group meet at Walmart after school and everyone is assigned someone to shop for. Members receive a list of everything the child or senior citizen wants or needs and then they pick what to buy.

The presents bought will then be wrapped by the club too. SGA meets after school to sort and wrap all the gifts before they are delivered to the homes of the recipients.

This year the club bought everything from bathrobes to mugs and candles to tricycles and barbie dolls . Many people that the presents are bought for also need lots of essentials like clothes, shoes and blankets. Even though it is a holiday sometimes the only things people want are the things that we might take for granted having.

A lot more people in our school and community are struggling to make ends meet than we may realize. If you would like to join the SGA in helping those members of our community who may be struggling, participate in SGA’s fundraisers and events.

If you would like to give back to the Christmas Mother directly you can donate on their website or head out to Fine Creek Brewing or Maxey’s store where proceeds will be donated to the Christmas Mother.