The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 28Track runner Jackson Morris qualified for the state tournament this week at Liberty University.
  • May 28Boys tennis player Jamison Wallace won the individual boys regional title for the second year in a row. He competes in the state tournament this week.
  • May 28Softball plays in the regional semifinals Tuesday v. Atlee at home at 5pm. If you are able, come out and see them play
  • May 28Girls Lacrosse lost a heartbreaking regional final 14-13 to Hanover Friday. They play at Rockbridge in the state quarterfinals on Friday
  • May 23Congrats to Girls Lax for going to States for the 3rd year in a row!!
  • May 23Congrats to the Class of '24 for over 5 Million Dollars in Grants and Scholarships!
  • May 23All students please return your PHS library books due to summer and to avoid fees

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 28, 2024
Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 23, 2024

Has Amelia Earhart’s plane been found? Recent discovery unravels decades old mystery

USA Today

Amelia Earhart, the first Woman Aviation Pioneer, has captured aviation researchers for 86 years ever since her plane disappeared. Earhart studied aviation at Columbia University then at University of Southern California. Her love for flying was obvious ever since she was a little girl.

Earhart set out on her trip, hoping to be the first woman to circumnavigate the globe. She set out on July 2nd, 1937. She was rumored to have been last seen near Howland Island in the Central Pacific Ocean. Since 1937, it remained a mystery as to where her last location was.

Sonar Images of Deep Sea Vision’s possible discovery of Earhart’s plane

Recently though, Deep Sea Vision, a marine robotics company in South Carolina says undersea scans produced a blurry sonar image that may be Earhart’s plane, the Lockheed 10-E Electra. Tony Romeo, the Deep Se

a Vision’s CEO, says that the image appears to be a plane on the seafloor, about 100 miles from Howland Isla

nd, the island that Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan were heading for.

In comparison to the Titanic, the aircraft of about 16,400 feet, while the Titanic was found at about 12,500.

Other attempts made to find the aircraft date back to when Earhart was first deemed to be missing. Her last words were radioed at about 8pm on July 2nd, then she was not heard from again. The Navy and the US Coast Guard spent 16 days searching the area, but eventually, they were pronounced dead on January 5th, 1939.

In 2002, The Ocean Technology Company Nauticos, launched 3 expeditions in total, one in 2005 and the other in 2017, in search of Earhart’s plane.

Ted Waitt, a co-founder of a computer firm, financed an undersea search on the Western Side of Howland Island. Still, no evidence is found regarding their disappearance.

The most recent, in 2019, Robert Ballard, who discovered the wreck of the Titanic, made a deep sea search for Earhart’s plane around the Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro, but the same results were received, no sign of the plane.

All attempts made have led to dead ends, until now through Deep Sea Visions most recent discovery. As technology has further advanced, the possible discovery of Earhart’s plane was simple.