The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo Of The Day
Photo Of The Day
April 29, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024

Stress Awareness Month

Stress Awareness month has been held every April since 1992. This month serves as a way to raise awareness for the causes and cures of one of our modern day problems.

In our society, stress, as well as poor Mental health is one of the biggest public health problems we are facing. We as a whole are not talking about the impact of stress enough and fail to recognize its significance. Physical, as well as Mental health go hand in hand; both are important to maintain a healthy state.

During the span of April, we take this time to talk about and remove the guilt, shame, and stigma surrounding Mental health. During this time it gives people an opportunity to talk about stress related problems with friends, families, colleagues, and professionals. It is critical we create an open and safe space for people to have these conversations.

It is important we understand what stress and anxiety looks like and take steps to help with it and seek help. Knowing how to handle stress can improve mental and physical well-being as well as minimize health-related issues.

Feelings of stress can occur in anyone and distancing yourself only increases chances of feeling stressed. Finding healthy coping strategies is an important part of managing stress. Ways of managing stress include taking breaks, taking care of yourself, connecting with your community and others, talking to someone, as well as many other healthy ways we can manage stress.

Being able to balance everything in our lives can sometimes get stressful, but it is important to know that is okay. We take this time in April to focus on stress and its impact. This month is a time to talk to someone or learn how to manage stress without feeling worried about what others will think. Stress is a big problem today and something that should be talked about.