The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 28Track runner Jackson Morris qualified for the state tournament this week at Liberty University.
  • May 28Boys tennis player Jamison Wallace won the individual boys regional title for the second year in a row. He competes in the state tournament this week.
  • May 28Softball plays in the regional semifinals Tuesday v. Atlee at home at 5pm. If you are able, come out and see them play
  • May 28Girls Lacrosse lost a heartbreaking regional final 14-13 to Hanover Friday. They play at Rockbridge in the state quarterfinals on Friday
  • May 23Congrats to Girls Lax for going to States for the 3rd year in a row!!
  • May 23Congrats to the Class of '24 for over 5 Million Dollars in Grants and Scholarships!
  • May 23All students please return your PHS library books due to summer and to avoid fees

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 28, 2024
Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 23, 2024

Powhatan Powder Puff 2024

On Friday March 15, the annual Powder Puff game at Powhatan High School took place. This event is held each year in March and is an exciting opportunity for Juniors and Seniors to compete while underclassmen watch.

Powder Puff is an event held at many high schools in which girls hit the field while the guys stand on the sidelines as cheerleaders or even coaches. This year, it was the Class of 2024 versus the Class of 2025. The Seniors in the previous year had taken the win, making this year a chance to earn back-to-back wins.

The game started at 6:15 pm and took place at the Powhatan High School Football field. The bleachers were filled with parents, friends, and underclassmen of these players. Supporters of Seniors were seated on the Home side and on the other side supporters of Juniors sat on the Visitor side.

Juniors started off with the ball with Erica Krauss running the ball down the field the first two plays. Juniors score making them the first team on the board. Following this, Seniors got the ball, but their hopes of scoring came to an end when Junior Emma Terry intercepted the ball.

The first half of this game was very one sided with another Junior touchdown from Erica Krauss as well as another interception by Emma Terry. This left the scoreboard at 14-0 at halftime with the Seniors still scoreless.

Halftime was a show for the fans as well as the players as they got to experience the Junior and Senior boys take on the Halftime Show as Cheerleaders. Juniors went first with a fun upbeat performance that had the crowd entertained.  Following, the Senior Cheerleaders performed all sorts of cheer stunts.

Throughout the game, both Cheer teams took part in getting the fans hyped up as well as providing entertainment through water fights and stealing each other benches.

The second half had begun and Seniors were finally starting to find a rhythm. Mary Hazel led their run game and scored a touchdown. Another touchdown was made by Katherine Cerullo. Though they finally had points on the board, they could not match the Juniors, who in the second half, had two more running touchdowns as well as an interception by Chloe Holt.

The game ended with the Juniors winning 28-12 which was an outstanding performance on both Offense and Defense for them. Juniors stormed the field in celebration with smiles all around from the Team Coaches and Cheerleaders as well as water getting dumped on their heads.

Though an unfortunate loss for the Seniors, the game is still one that will not be forgotten for them as it is their last year partaking in this school event.