The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 22, 2024
First practice of the season
Girls Lacrosse
April 18, 2024

Shooting at Kansas City Chiefs Celebration Party

Jamie Squire

After back to back wins for the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl what was supposed to be a celebration turned into a tragedy. On Wednesday, February 14, a shooting occurred during the Chiefs Victory Rally sending fans all over running for cover.

This shooting left one dead a mother of two as well as 22 left injured. More than half of the 22 shots were minors under the age of 16.

image by Jamie Squire

The shooting took place outside of Union Station in a crowd of around a million. The majority of gun violence had unfolded on the westside of Union Station. The area was also surrounded by a number of 800 police officers who were in the building and surrounding areas.

During the initial shooting, three people were contained including two juveniles, but none were charged immediately. Following last weeks shooting two were charged Dominic M. Miller and Lyndell Mays. Miller, 18 and Mays, were both charged with second degree murder.

The incident started with an argument between May and someone else he had no previous history with which quickly escalated to him pulling out his hand gun this leading others to pull out their handguns one being Miller. It was Miller’s gun that was said to be responsible for the death of mother Lisa Lopez-Galvan.

Miller and Mays were both shot and both men remain in the hospital in custody. Both these men are being held on a one million dollar bond.