The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 8Auditions for the Show Choir 2024/2025 school year will take place after school in the choir room April 15th, 16th, and 17th
  • March 28A college campus safety professional will be holding an informational session in the auditorium on Friday 4/12. Junior and Senior girls are encouraged to attend. The link to sign up is on Schoology.
  • March 25Feeling Lucky with 26! The sophomore class has extended their raffle for a pot of gold containing various gift cards. Buy tickets at the Concession Stand in the mornings. 1 for $1, 5 for $3, or 10 for $5. Drawing will be held after Spring Break.
  • March 18April 19th is the 6th annual Mr. Powhatan competition! If you are a boy in any grade interested in competing, find the signups posted around the school, or on Instagram.
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting tomorrow, 3/18.
  • February 26The VSBA Personal Essay/Speaking Contest is open to all Public High School students. The top finalist will receive a $1,000 Scholarship! The deadline is April 17th.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 11, 2024
Photo of the day
Photo of the day
April 9, 2024

Shooting at Kansas City Chiefs Celebration Party

Jamie Squire

After back to back wins for the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl what was supposed to be a celebration turned into a tragedy. On Wednesday, February 14, a shooting occurred during the Chiefs Victory Rally sending fans all over running for cover.

This shooting left one dead a mother of two as well as 22 left injured. More than half of the 22 shots were minors under the age of 16.

image by Jamie Squire

The shooting took place outside of Union Station in a crowd of around a million. The majority of gun violence had unfolded on the westside of Union Station. The area was also surrounded by a number of 800 police officers who were in the building and surrounding areas.

During the initial shooting, three people were contained including two juveniles, but none were charged immediately. Following last weeks shooting two were charged Dominic M. Miller and Lyndell Mays. Miller, 18 and Mays, were both charged with second degree murder.

The incident started with an argument between May and someone else he had no previous history with which quickly escalated to him pulling out his hand gun this leading others to pull out their handguns one being Miller. It was Miller’s gun that was said to be responsible for the death of mother Lisa Lopez-Galvan.

Miller and Mays were both shot and both men remain in the hospital in custody. Both these men are being held on a one million dollar bond.