The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 22, 2024
First practice of the season
Girls Lacrosse
April 18, 2024

Indians Wrestling Update

Coach Tanaka

If you’ve been following Powhatan Athletics for a while you know we have an extraordinary Wrestling team, to which their 2023-24 season was no exception! Through the years, Powhatan Wrestling’s coaches have helped lead the team to multiple Regional and State titles. While we are all excited to hear about the Regional, State and National tournaments our wrestlers will soon attend, here’s a recap of the season so far.

At the beginning of this season, PHS Wrestling and Blackhawk Gym donated 103 complete Thanksgiving meals for the Powhatan Food Pantry.

The Greg Stanley Invitational, the first tournament of the season, was a huge success for the team, generating 6 placers, and Talon Harness earning his first Champion win of the season. Gavin Utley, Luke Wells, Brandon Campbell, Cal Johnson, and Thomas Kimbrough also earned themselves a spot on the podium. 

The second tournament surpassed the first with the Indians earning themselves a 2nd place overall as a team as well as generating 4 champions and 6 individual placers. At this tournament, Talon Harness accomplished his 100th Career Varsity win! These wins plus a match win starts a great season for the Indians. As of December 20, our Indians are ranked 5th in the Richmond region.

Girls Wrestling is on the rise with 5 new female wrestlers. Maddie Taylor, Laura Samuels, Sally Woodard, Lily Faris, and Brynna Tester, who placed 3rd at the Godwin Girls Tournament. 

The first tournament of 2024, The Judges Invitational, was a fantastic tournament for the Indians, with three place winners, Talon Harness, Luke Wells, and Gavin Utley. 

Following, the next January tournament, The Big Blue Invitational was outstanding. The team placed 3rd overall and brought home 11 individual place winners. Champions include: Rj Fridley, Gavin Utley, and Ian Mathuse. Brady Beard and Talon Harness earned runner up spots and Luke Wells, Ct Rich, Gavin Tomlinson, and Cal Johnson placed 3rd.

This past weekend the Indians hosted the annual Coast Guard invitational, which was exceptional as the team placed 3rd with 6 individual placers. Talon Harness, Gavin Utley, and Luke Wells earned a Champion spot! 

Continue following the Powhatan Wrestling team to hear about the upcoming regional tournament!