The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • February 29STEM night is Tonight, 2/29, at PHS from 5-7!
  • February 29Congratulations to the the show choirs for another successful competition at Thomas Dale's Commonwealth Choir Invitational.
  • February 26The VSBA Personal Essay/Speaking Contest is open to all Public High School students. The top finalist will receive a $1,000 Scholarship! More details are on Schoology.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
March 4, 2024

Backstory of Black History Month

Backstory of Black History Month
Hartford University

Black History Month is celebrated through the duration of February beginning on the 1st of February and ending on March 1st. The idea began in 1926 starting as just a week and later on shifted to a whole month of recognition in 1976.

Photo by IREC

Black History month is celebrated in the US, Canada, as well as Ireland and the United Kingdom. This month is a time to honor and recognize African Americans who made significant sacrifices and played a role in shaping history.

These significant black figures all have different backgrounds and stories that should be told. We learn about people more known such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks but we fail to highlight the lesser known such as Jane Bolin and Albert Murray. This month is a time to learn about these people especially the ones in the shadows whose stories have not been heard.

This month originated almost a half a century after the 13th Amendment was passed which abolished slavery. Created by Carter G. Woodson, the goal was to educate people about Black History and Culture. It was widely accepted by many by being taught in schools and celebrated across college campuses.

Why the month of February though? The reason being the second week of February coincides with the birthdays of both Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Abraham Lincoln played a huge role in the emancipation of slaves and Douglass who was a former slave was a leader in the abolitionist movements.

This is a time of celebration of African Americans all who made a difference. It is a time for those all over to be enriched in the cultural heritage, triumphs, and adversities that are undeniably part of our country’s history.