The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 22, 2024
First practice of the season
Girls Lacrosse
April 18, 2024

How Pop Culture Influences the Youth

Pop culture has taken over mainstream media for multiple decades ranging from music, movies, media, and fashion trends. It has impacted the way people live in society where social media is the landscape of the world.

In today’s world, there are social media influencers everywhere on platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and Snapchat. Influencers make content for entertainment purposes to speak to the younger and older audiences of generations by talking about relatable life occurrences, sports, politics, and other pop culture.

The more people that can either appreciate, enjoy, or relate to what influencers or celebrities say and do, the more it becomes popular. Those impacts turn into culture shock whether it’s negative or positive. Culture shocks can change the way people think and can have a massive impact on the lives of  millions. Social media is super significant to pop culture because it is the primary basis of the world we currently live in and it wouldn’t be the same without it.

Music, shows, and movies are arguably the biggest influences of pop culture because the immensely subjective opinions people have about them. Opinions and reviews of both topics turn into raves and discussions that people can easily agree and disagree with and can create praise and controversy at the same time.

The music industry and the cinematic industry of Hollywood are usually the center of the public eye where money is made the most.  The most important involvement on impact on music, shows, and movies are the messages they send whether they are hidden or meticulously put in their product.

The synonymous views on music, shows, and movies give the ability to bring people together and create a cohesive impact on society by striking global perceptions. There are also tons of different genres of music, shows, and movies that people either relate to or enjoy to a point where it can become an important piece of their life.

Genres of music have evolved from beautiful simplicity to where experimental and avant garde is also a whole different successful genre that is only rising.

Blockbuster movies and entertaining shows have grown in a way that any type of that entertainment can affect the lives of many. In a world where everything is drastically evolving with production and where lots of products are digital, music and entertainment have shaped the culture we live in.

Fashion trends have been everywhere for so many decades and have been important in the world for so long because of the styles that can be developed. Clothing lines like Nike, Adidas, Hollister, Levi’s, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger have been iconic for many years because they’ve been known for being considered stylish.

Red carpet events have influenced people to dress in many different ways people have never seen before. The main reason why fashion is important to pop culture is because it creates identities for people in the way they present themselves and is important for many heritages around the world.

Fashion is looked upon as a way of visual representation of people whether it is from beliefs, moral values, and attitudes. It is a way to express someone’s personality and it helps fashion become embedded as a great and powerful impact to many cultures of the world.

All other roots of pop culture like social media, music, and television influence fashion as another expression of personality and it creates positive influences to the youth and the world as a whole.