The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo Of The Day
Photo Of The Day
April 29, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024

Moods Dropping With the Temperatures

December is seasonal affective disorder awareness month. With the temperatures dropping moods tend to drop just as low, making it difficult for many to get on with their everyday life. 

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression occurring in the Fall and Winter months occuring more commonly in women than in men and in the Winter months rather than Summer.

If you experience SAD, don’t feel alone. The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that millions struggle with this disorder and most don’t even realize it and refer to this feeling as “Winter Blues.” Although SAD affects millions of people researchers still can’t exactly pinpoint what causes it.  One possible cause is that because of the sunlight disappearing so early in the night, our brains trigger a chemical change leading to signs of deep depression. This chemical change is a decrease in serotonin which regulates your mood.

SAD is treated in many different ways ranging from light therapy and vitamin D to antidepressants which are usually used to treat general depression. 

Because the onset of SAD is so predictable, people who have this condition diagnosed can usually tell exactly when the depression will hit them and can start these different treatments early on and prevent the extreme side effects of SAD. 

If you experience the symptoms of SAD know you are not alone, talk to a trusted adult or see about going to talk to a therapist.

View Comments (1)