The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 8May 6-10 is Teacher Appreciation Week!
  • May 8Be aware of schedule changes next Tuesday-Friday due to SOLS!
  • May 8Check out the AP Art Exhibition Friday, May 10, 7-9PM @ the War Memorial Cultural Arts and Community Center
  • May 7May 9th is Mental Health Awareness Day! Join the PHS Counseling Department in showing our support for mental health awareness by wearing green this Thursday.
  • May 7Field Hockey interest meeting in room 2062 on Friday, May 10th during Indian Time!

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Flooding at JMU
Photo Of The Day
May 7, 2024
Photo Of The Day
Photo Of The Day
May 6, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
May 2, 2024

Students Giving Back

With the holiday season wrapping up the giving still continues.  There is no better way to do this than giving back to your community and those in need.

At Powhatan High School students strive to help others. PHS Clubs like Leftovers who aim to help fight cancer, to SGA raising money for the school community and others in the community. Making its debut, PHS Emerging Leaders, led by Amanda Henderson (Wilson).

The goal of Emerging Leaders is to help others through acts of service. These students help shape our school community and our leaders of the future generations. This class is only one period made up of only Juniors and Seniors, but they make a big difference.

Their main focus is on the student led Indian Inventory also known as the students Needs Closet which focuses on supplying students with essentials with easy access. They believe a student’s feeling of comfort and ability to be successful in school should not be impacted by their lack of necessities.  This does not just include school supplies, but also anything one might need at home that they do not have access to.

In order to provide these things for students they ask for donations of items as well as money to supply the closet. Item donations include things such as clothes, snacks, water bottles, and hygiene products. Money for the closet is also provided through various numbers of fundraisers.

For example, early on 50/50 raffles at football games as well as The Do You Wanna Build a Snowman Fundraiser, a class competition to raise money for the Indian Inventory as well as other holiday projects. Just recently, they used a portion of the money they have made to put it towards teenage applicants for Christmas Mother supplying them gifts.

These students are the leaders of PHS and put others before themselves. They want to provide for those around them and help those who need it most.