The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • April 22Congratulations to the students who were recognized at the 59th Annual SkillsUSA Virginia State Leadership Conference this past weekend!
  • April 22The Emerging Leaders Class is sponsoring a Denim Day on Wednesday, April 24th to honor victims of Sexual Assault.
  • April 22Congrats to the 2024 Mr. Powhatan Winner, Gavin Utley!
  • April 15Are you looking for a gift to give mom for mothers day? Send a photo to the robotics team to get a customized lithophane print to warm your mothers heart and help support the PHS Robotics team. Please see Mr. Beasley in room 1038 for details.
  • April 15Seniors, please remember to complete your end of year task list for counseling by May 5. Seniors that meet the deadline will be entered into a random drawing for one of two $15 Sheetz Gift Cards. Find the link on Schoology!
  • March 18Outside Guest Forms for Prom will be available in PHS' Main Office starting 3/18

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 25, 2024
PHS Boys Soccer
PHS Boys Soccer
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 23, 2024
Photo of the Day
Photo of the Day
April 22, 2024
First practice of the season
Girls Lacrosse
April 18, 2024

The impact behind losing a loved one at a young age

purdueglobal

Losing someone you love and care for is one of the most heartbreaking situations you can be put in as a student. You go through waves of grief and it gives you an empty feeling, like a piece of your heart and soul was ripped away.

Students can feel guilty when they lose a family member. They go over scenarios in their head on what they could’ve done or said differently. Many become angry at themselves because they feel they could have put more effort into their relationship with the person who has passed. Lots of students lose sleep, their interest in normal daily activities, and their appetite.

verywellhealth

It is especially difficult for students to show up for school. They can struggle to keep track of their grades and to concentrate in class with all the stress and mixed emotions they are feeling. On top of everything, schools only let students miss a small number of days before they take disciplinary action. This leads to students not being given the appropriate amount of time off school they need to grieve.

As the holidays come around it can become a more difficult time for students dealing with loss. The holidays can make the absence of their loved one passing more apparent and real. The death may have been suddenly before the holidays and they might have been looking forward to spending time with them around the holidays, which makes the absence of their presence very painful.

You never know what people are going through and it is best to always be kind. Not everyone likes to be open about their feelings and prefers to keep their business to themselves. This is why schools talk so much about being kind to everyone whether you like the person or not.