Seasons of change

Savannah Forkey, Staff Reporter

For both the boys and girls basketball programs at Powhatan High School the 2022-2023 season has been a major change from previous years. Both teams got completely new coaching staffs, but have had opposite outcomes.

The boys ended last season with a 6-14 record and hopes for a better season to come after the varsity head coach was fired. The girls however came off a record breaking season with a record of 17-9 that took them all the way to the region final and the state quarterfinal.

This year the boys varsity team has seen more wins than any other season since joining the dominion district in 2019 with a record of 7-11. They have been led by head varsity coach Brock Geiman who is assisted by Nick Parks, Austin Washburn and Josh Forkey. The JV team has done just as well with a record of 8-10 and they are led by head coach Josh Forkey who is assisted by Brandon Carter, Ethan Kramer and Luke Buzzard.

They are currently the 12 ranked team and have a good chance to make regional playoffs for the first time in several years. With wins in two of their final four games they should be able to punch their ticket to the playoffs.

The girls team has had a very different season, but not necessarily in the same way as the boys. Coming off an amazing season the girls varsity head coach decided to step down. They were left with very little time to find a new coach, so they gave the job to former boys varsity head coach Steve Washburn. He had big shoes to fill but has done a decent job with the assistance of former track coach Paulette Bowman. The girls varsity team currently has a record of 7-9.

The JV team also got a new coach who has led them through a difficult season. The girls JV head coach is Powhatan alumni and assistant field hockey coach Kylie Milo and she is assisted by softball coach Brandi Hughes. The girls JV team currently has a record of 3-11.

The girls varsity team is currently ranked number 10 and while they haven’t had a season quite as historic as last year they are still expected to make the regional playoffs. With just one or two wins in their final five games they should be able to secure their spot in the playoffs.