Indians Football Program off to a hot start!

Ty Green, Staff Reporter

We’ve reached the halfway point in the High School Football season and the Powhatan Indians football program has been off to a hot start this year, with Varsity Starting out 5-1 and JV starting out 4-0.

The Indians’ season had a very odd start this year, Mechanicsville was forced to forfeit in Week 1 due to an ongoing hazing investigation. To start out the year JV beat LC Bird in a contest scheduled last minute. Varsity also took a Week 1 win in forfeit fashion as mentioned above.

Both teams took the win over the Huguenot Falcons in Week 2, as it was the Varsity teams first time taking the field this season.

In Week 3 the teams played the highly talented Manchester Lancers. JV took the upset win on Thursday after a very hard fought game. On Friday the Varsity team traveled to Manchester for their first away game of the year and they took their first loss on the year by a score of 35-14.

Next up on the schedule was the Bulldogs of George Wythe. Wythe doesn’t have a JV program so, JV had the week off. The Bulldogs came to Powhatan for a Thursday evening contest due to a referee shortage and took a 51-16 loss.

Week 5 called for a battle of the tribes with the Chiefs of Monacan taking on the Indians of Powhatan. Due to Hurricane Ian the Varsity game was moved up to Thursday for a second consecutive Thursday night game for the Indians. With Varsity being moved up the JV game was canceled leaving them without a game for the second week in a row.

To begin the second half of the season in Week 6, Powhatan traveled to James River to take on the 2-3 Rapids, the Indians spoiled homecoming for James River by a score of 35-14, improving the Indians’ record to 5-1.

Next week the Indians will return home from a 3 week hiatus on the road as they will take on the 2-4 Clover Hill Cavaliers for their homecoming game.

In Week 8 the Indians take on the 4-2 LC Bird Skyhawks who are one spot behind Powhatan for fourth place in the district.

To round out the home schedule, and for senior night the Indians return home one last time in Week 9 to take on the undefeated Midlothian Trojans who sit atop the district with a record of 6-0.

The Indians’ season will conclude on the road in week 10 as they travel to Cosby to take on the 2-4 Titans.