The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 28Track runner Jackson Morris qualified for the state tournament this week at Liberty University.
  • May 28Boys tennis player Jamison Wallace won the individual boys regional title for the second year in a row. He competes in the state tournament this week.
  • May 28Softball plays in the regional semifinals Tuesday v. Atlee at home at 5pm. If you are able, come out and see them play
  • May 28Girls Lacrosse lost a heartbreaking regional final 14-13 to Hanover Friday. They play at Rockbridge in the state quarterfinals on Friday
  • May 23Congrats to Girls Lax for going to States for the 3rd year in a row!!
  • May 23Congrats to the Class of '24 for over 5 Million Dollars in Grants and Scholarships!
  • May 23All students please return your PHS library books due to summer and to avoid fees

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 28, 2024
Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 23, 2024

Chilean volunteer firefighter and ex-forestry official arrested for causing forest fire responsible for 137 deaths

AP Photo/Esteban Felix, File

On May 24 a volunteer firefighter and ex-forestry official were detained for allegedly starting a forest fire that occurred in February and killed 137 people and left 16,000 people homeless in Chile. It was ruled by the courts that the two men can be held for up to 180 days while they are being investigated. 

The volunteer firefighter’s name is Francisco Mondaca and is suspected to have helped ignite the fire. It has been released that he was caught with pyrotechnics in his vehicle. The other suspect is named Franco Pinto and is being accused of planning this heinous crime. 

Due to their current and past positions that involve wildfires, it has been speculated that there is an economic motive behind their crime. The prosecutors of the case have not ruled out there being more people involved in executing the wildfire. The forestry agency and fire department have both stated that they will be hyper vigilant in the future to prevent this from occurring again. 

AP News reported that the wildfire “is considered Chile’s worst tragedy since a magnitude 8.8 earthquake killed more than 500 people on Feb. 27, 2010.” The country is still mourning and recovering from this massive tragedy.