The Student News Site of Powhatan High School

Arrowhead

Breaking News
  • May 28Track runner Jackson Morris qualified for the state tournament this week at Liberty University.
  • May 28Boys tennis player Jamison Wallace won the individual boys regional title for the second year in a row. He competes in the state tournament this week.
  • May 28Softball plays in the regional semifinals Tuesday v. Atlee at home at 5pm. If you are able, come out and see them play
  • May 28Girls Lacrosse lost a heartbreaking regional final 14-13 to Hanover Friday. They play at Rockbridge in the state quarterfinals on Friday
  • May 23Congrats to Girls Lax for going to States for the 3rd year in a row!!
  • May 23Congrats to the Class of '24 for over 5 Million Dollars in Grants and Scholarships!
  • May 23All students please return your PHS library books due to summer and to avoid fees

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 28, 2024
Photo of the day
Photo of the day
May 23, 2024

Babies in South Korea suing government over climate change

Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters

The people of South Korea are suing the government for not having enough regulations to prevent climate change. According to Nature, this is “the first lawsuit to challenge national climate policies in East Asia” and researchers are predicting that this will start a chain reaction which “could lead to more cases of its kind in the region.”

This lawsuit is a combination of multiple court cases between the years 2020 and 2023. On May 21 the final hearing occurred and the official response has not yet been declared. However, it is believed that this lawsuit will be a large turning point for South Korea’s national environmental policy.

Many companies have been opening factories in Asian countries due to their underpaid workforce, loose safety regulations, and cheap child labor. The large-scale relocating of these factories to Asian countries with limited environmental regulations has caused those countries to be one of the largest producers of greenhouse gasses, which cause climate change. 

This lawsuit is interesting because not only are adults suing the South Korean government, their children, babies, and unborn babies have also been added to the petition. In particular, one unborn child nicknamed Woodpecker has become the symbol for this motion to protect the next generation from the effects of climate change.

When he was a 20-week-old embryo, before he even had a real name, Choi Hee-woo became one of the world’s youngest-ever plaintiffs by joining a groundbreaking climate lawsuit against South Korea.

— Hieun Shin, The Japan Times

The Japan Times has said that South Korea’s current climate change prevention plan is “to reduce carbon emissions by 290 million tons by 2030 and to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. In order to meet this goal, the country needs to reduce emissions by 5.4% every year from 2023, a target they have so far failed to meet.”

Noh Dong-woon, a professor at Hanyang University in Seoul stated that with South Korea’s current situation it is “highly unlikely that Seoul will meet its official climate goals.” 

The next generation does not plan on wasting time during this time-sensitive environmental crisis and are making their voices heard. At only 12 years old, Han Jeah has been a leading activist and has made many statements about climate change. 

“When the Earth’s temperature rises two degrees Celsius more, none of the adults who are talking about this right now will still be around, even President (Yoon Suk-yeol),” young Jeah  said in a statement, “the children left behind will be responsible for reducing carbon emissions and suffer the consequences.”